Downstairs Powder Room: Long story short = I’ve given it THREE paint jobs so far, and I still hate it. Fourth one is going to be a charm. It better be.
NOTE: I don’t really have any great before pictures, as this was taken back when I first moved in! What can I say? I was in a rush! I wanted those dingy yellow walls gone as fast as I could! Sorry for lousy pics, but you get the idea, the room looked blah.
I sanded the walls down. Taped all the edges off. Then for the color – I wanted to pick a color that was a COLOR, but still agreed harmoniously with the bright teal front door (since the powder room was right off from the door). So I thought: Why not stay within that teal color family then, just go lighter! So I mixed my own color by using the sample jars of teal blue paints I had from the front door with a leftover half-gallon of white paint that the previous homeowners left behind. First I experimented with the paint right on the wall to determine what shade I liked the best. I liked the medium teal, where it didn’t look too white, but not too matchy-matchy with the front door. So off I went to mix it all up.
With the room all prepped, I went to town! But then I noticed as the paint dried, that I forgot something pretty essential – PAINT DRIES DARKER! Which meant that when I went to mix up my paint to match the swatch I liked on the wall, I didn’t compensate for the drying factor. Ugh. Now I have almost matchy-matchy colors.
It was late. I was frustrated. I called it a night.
I gave myself about a week to see if I would be fine with the color, or to come up with a different idea – such as going out to buy white paint to add back into my too dark batch of paint. During this time, I also toyed with the idea of stenciling something onto the walls in a lighter color. I nixed the idea because I felt like it would be too kid-room-sy. I love stencils – but I think they work best with neutral colors, not bright colors. Anyway – I stumbled across the idea of ombre’d walls and thought that would be fantastic to give it a shot!
So coat #2 went up.
But I could not, for the life of me, get the blending to look right. I spent about two hours trying to blend and blend and blend and blend and blend…. ugh. It now looked like a beach room. Done by a second grader. It was bad. I disapprove. Reject. Go away. *shutting eyes*
A week later, I was back in that tiny room (4.5 x 3.75′) putting up coat numero tres. I grabbed a quart of white paint and dumped it unceremoniously into the homemade mixed teal paint.
Since all of that tape had been up there since the first coat, I used a Xacto-like knife to slice away the dried paint before ripping it off.
ta-dah. I still hate it. It’s now a baby boy’s blue.
Whatever. It’s fine for now. (I did all of these coats back in early September, and the room still has that wet paint smell!) Meanwhile, I’m back at the drawing board. I think this time, instead of going lighter on the teal paint spectrum, I’m going to go darker. I saw this picture with paint swatches at Lowes, and the coloring of the furniture is quite similar to the bathroom’s vanity and the ORB’d hardware in there. Meet Valspar’s Jackson Glen. The next contender.